Top 10 tips for getting the most from your appointment
1. Find out what your GP practice offers – opening times, what services they provide.
2. Be as explicit as you can about why you need to make a visit when you book. This will help reception staff identify the most appropriate member of staff for you to see.
3. Ask for an appointment with the same GP each time if possible as they will know your health history.
4. You will need to tell your doctor about any medicines or supplements you are taking, so make a note of these too.
5. If you think you may find it hard to remember everything the doctor says to you, take a notepad and make notes during your visit.
6. Be honest. Tell your GP if you feel embarrassed talking about your problem and they'll make you feel at ease.
7. Give your opinion. An appointment is about working together with your GP to decide what's best for you.
8. If you and your doctor agree on a certain treatment, make sure you're clear about what its effects are and how quickly It will work. Ask about possible side effects, and whether it will interact with other medicines you're already taking.
9. If you have a question about prescribed medicine after the appointment, ask your pharmacist for advice.
10. Don’t be scared to say if there’s anything the doctor is telling you that you don’t understand, or if you need reassurance.